Christmas is coming and many people are listening to their favorite holiday songs to get into the spirit as they drive.
In 2019 a study was completed by the South China University of Technology found that songs with faster beats in a minute can cause more dangerous driving. The songs specifically with over 120 beats per minute are the most dangerous.
Music is used in cars to help bust boredom and help drivers not become drowsy. Unfortunately, the more upbeat and fast the song is, the more a driver can struggle to focus.
In 2001, one quarter of crashes were due to distracted driving, which included music playing. It can be especially influential in areas with hills, low visibility, at night, or in bad weather.
The following songs are the top ten deadliest Christmas songs to drive to, ranked starting with the most dangerous song
1. Gene Autry, ‘Frosty the Snowman’, 172 BPM
2. Mariah Carey, ‘All I want For Christmas’, 150 BPM
3. José Feliciano, ‘Feliz Navidad’, 149 BPM
4. Jackson 5, ‘Santa Claus Is Comin’ To Town’, 147 BPM
5. John Lennon and Yoko Ono, ‘Happy Xmas (War Is Over)’, 146 BPM
6. Frank Sinatra, ‘Let It Snow! Let It Snow! Let It Snow!’, 143 BPM
7. Gene Autry, ‘Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer’, 142 BPM
8. Wizzard, ‘I Wish it Could be Christmas Every Day’, 140 BPM
9. Judy Garland, ‘Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas’, 137 BPM
10. Jackson 5, ‘I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus’, 129 BPM
When it isn’t holiday time, rock music is the most dangerous to listen to. Mood and temperament influence the driver as well.