The Ithaca Police Department says it will be taking steps to respond to an ‘uptick’ in violent crime that’s been happening on the west side of the city.
As part of that effort – increased patrols. “There have been increased patrols in he recent weeks which include directed patrols and an assigned patrol,” IPD said in an update to the community. “The increased violence has led to a special detail. This detail will include investigators, patrol officers, and members of the NY State Police Community Stabilization Unit.”
Both Mayor Svante Myrick and Acting Chief John Joly addressed the uptick in violence and patrols in a statement released by the city.
“The goal of this detail will be to not only deter crime but also address the concerns of the residents and maintain a significant presence ready to intervene or respond rapidly to acts of violence,” Joly said.
The additional presence in the West End will be visible and interacting with neighborhood residents.
“Senseless acts of violence have no place in our city. The Ithaca Police Department is committed to preventing violence in the City of Ithaca, and this newest initiative will focus on the west end. To be successful, we need the community to also support our efforts by cooperating with investigators and using our anonymous tip line to report any information that may help prevent violence in our city,” Myrick added.
Police shared basic contact information for members of the community to share tips that can help with open investigations, as well as prevent future crimes.
Police Dispatch: 607-272-3245
Police Tipline: 607-330-0000
Anonymous Email Tip Address: www.cityofithaca.org/ipdtips
Recent incidents in the city of Ithaca:
- Part of Ithaca shut down Wednesday due to incident involving gun
- Ithaca Police report two stabbings around the same time in different locations Monday afternoon
- Man who stole Cadillac and led police on a chase last month is arrested in Tompkins County Jail
- Ithaca police respond to report of a stabbing Thursday night
- Ithaca Police Department reports shooting for the second night in a row
- Police respond to shots fired in Ithaca Tuesday night
- Ithaca Police in search of suspect following robbery Friday night
- Two held at gunpoint during robbery at Ithaca home
- Police investigate second shooting within hours in Ithaca
- Two men arrested following investigation into an armed robbery in the parking lot of an Ithaca Speedway
- Two arrests made in connection to armed robbery in Ithaca on Sept. 11