Skip to content
Home » Wayne County » Walworth » Small fire in Walworth offers learning opportunity for residents

Small fire in Walworth offers learning opportunity for residents

  • / Updated:
  • Staff Report 

A minor structure fire in Walworth was swiftly handled by local firefighters on Monday morning, according to the Walworth Fire Department.

A resident noticed smoke coming from an exterior outlet while power washing the house. The fire was already extinguished when fire crews arrived, resulting in no injuries and only minor damage to the home.


The outlet involved was a Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter (GFCI) outlet, designed to trip when exposed to water. While the outlet functioned as intended, it is not supposed to cause a fire. Fire officials advise residents to regularly test GFCI outlets and consult a qualified electrician if unsure how to do so.

The Walworth Fire Department expressed gratitude to the West Walworth, Lincoln, and South Macedon Fire Departments for their assistance in the incident.