Sophomore forward Luke Aquaro scored a pair of goals as the top-ranked Hobart College Hockey team defeated UMass Boston, 3-0, in a New England Hockey Conference contest at the Edward T. Barry Ice Rink Saturday afternoon. With their eighth straight victory, the Statesmen are now 8-0-0 overall this season and are 4-0-0 in NEHC play. The Beacons fall to 2-6-0 overall with a 2-4-0 mark in conference play.
Hobart’s eight straight wins to start the year match the program record set in 2007-08.
First-year Damon Beaver stopped all 28 shots he faced as the Statesmen recorded their third consecutive shutout. Liam Murray made 31 saves in goal for UMass Boston.
- The Statesmen finished the game with a 34-26 edge in shots on goal.
- UMass Boston was 0-for-7 on the power play and Hobart was 0-for-4 with the man advantage.
- Aquaro opened the scoring 98 seconds into the game. He one-timed a shot from the left faceoff circle past Murray for his seventh goal of the season. Shane Shell and Jonah Alexander were awarded assists on the goal.
- Alexander gave the Statesmen a 2-0 lead with one second remaining on the clock. He wristed a shot from the slot past Murray for his fourth goal of the season. While it was an unassisted goal, Aquaro’s hit on a Beacon forward caused the turnover leading to the tally.
- Fresh off killing a 5-on-3 advantage for UMass Boston, Aquaro was hauled down on a breakaway. He buried the ensuing penalty shot for his eighth goal of the season.
- Austin Mourar nearly gave Hobart a four-goal lead, but his blast from the point hit the goal post.
- The Statesmen finished the final stanza with a 10-8 edge in shots on goal.
“Today was a very well executed, disciplined win,” Head Coach Mark Taylor said. “The guys played with really good purpose. Both games were well-earned and the icing on the cake was seeing the alumni after the games. Especially seeing the guys from my first year there, with their kids, enjoying the wins.”
After a week off for Thanksgiving, the Statesmen will be back in action Dec. 2-3, when they begin a five-game homestand to conclude the 2022 portion of their schedule. The Statesmen will take on Castleton on Dec. 2 at 7 p.m. and Skidmore on Dec. 3 at 4 p.m.