Questions surrounding the torture, kidnap, and murder case that happened in Chemung County were answered by the District Attorney.
DA Weeden Wetmore and law enforcement agencies discussed the timeline and current details Monday morning, according to WENY News.
Timeline of Events:
- Juan Jose Gotay was murdered around Jan. 29-30 in Elmira.
- Court documents allege that the suspects tortured him by shooting his shoulder and leg, kicking and hitting his face and body, breaking ribs, fingers, and injuring his face.
- Gotay’s body was mutilated by burning him and binding him with electrical cords before dumping him and leaving him to die near Coudersport, Pennsylvania in a remote area.
- Gotay was discovered in April.
- An investigation led detectives back to Elmira where two homes are believed to be the location of the beating and torture.
- In April police began exchanging information.
The suspects are Thomas Bovaird, 21, of Horseheads, Eddie Marte, 25, of New York City, and Malik Weems, 18, of Pittsburgh, who have all been charged with first degree murder, first degree kidnapping, first degree assault, and three counts of second degree assault.
A 17-year-old from Georgia who was 16 at the time of the murder is charged with second degree murder, first degree kidnapping, two counts of first degree assault, and two counts of second degree assault.
The teen’s age has kept their name from being released. That may change.
Marte and Weems are currently being held in the Ontario County correctional facility with additional charges to another kidnapping with intent to terrorize, and Bovaird is being held without bail in the Chemung County jail.
FingerLakes1.com is the region’s leading all-digital news publication. The company was founded in 1998 and has been keeping residents informed for more than two decades. Have a lead? Send it to [email protected].