It wasn’t without controversy, but the Syracuse Orange men’s basketball team handled the Niagara Purple Eagles by a final score of 75-45 inside the Carrier Dome on Thursday night. Quincy Guerrier led the way with 23 points and 13 rebounds as the 2-3 zone stymied Greg Paulus’ Niagara team.
Prior to tip it was announced that one member of the Syracuse team tested positive for COVID-19 and would not play. Buddy Boeheim, Chaz Owens and Bourama Sidibe never came out of the tunnel. Mike Waters of Syracuse.com reported that the younger Boeheim did not test positive, but was part of the contact trace group.
With Boeheim out, Kadary Richmond started in his place. Alan Griffin also made his first start at as Marek Dolezaj supplanted the injured Bourama Sidibe and slid to the center, joining Joe Girard and Guerrier as the starting five.
GAME RECAP LINKS:
- Syracuse basketball box score vs. Niagara (Syracuse.com)
- Syracuse 75, Niagara 45: Defense steps up as Orange stymie Purple Eagles (NunesMagician.com)
- Even without Buddy Boeheim, Syracuse easily handles Niagara (Syracuse.com)
- ORANGE POWER PAST PURPLE EAGLES, 75-45 (Cuse.com)
JIM BOEHEIM’S PRESS CONFERENCE:
2-0 ✔️ pic.twitter.com/snkwYu7166
— Syracuse Men’s Basketball (@Cuse_MBB) December 4, 2020
Syracuse beats Niagara 75-45 to improve to 2-0. The Purple Eagles went only 12-20 last season, but SU shows progress since game one.
Quincy went for a career-high 23 points. Kadary Richmond was also very good, scoring 16 pts. Added seven rebounds in his first college start.
— Matthew Gutierrez (@MatthewGut21) December 4, 2020
Syracuse returns to Jim Boeheim Court on Thursday, Dec. 3 to host Niagara at 8 p.m. in the Carrier Dome. The Orange are 1-0 after their victory over Bryant last Friday, while Thursday’s contest is the season opener for the Purple Eagles.
Syracuse and Niagara will meet for the 83rd time. The Orange own a 54-28 advantage in the all-time series.
The Purple Eagles visited Syracuse last season, marking the first meeting between the schools since 2000. Elijah Hughes led a group of four ‘Cuse players scoring in double figures in scoring with 19 points as the Orange posted a 71-57 victory.
GAME PREVIEW LINKS:
- COVID IMPACTS MEN’S BASKETBALL PRIOR TO NIAGARA TIP (Cuse.com)
- Syracuse-Niagara men’s basketball game is still on after leak in Carrier Dome roof forced SU women to move (Syracuse.com)
- ORANGE WELCOME NIAGARA THURSDAY (Cuse.com)
- Niagara comes off Covid pause to face Syracuse: ‘It’s a short window, but a long season’ (Syracuse.com)
- Syracuse vs. Niagara: TV/streaming, time, odds, history & more (NunesMagician.com)
- Opponent preview: What you need to know about Niagara (DailyOrange.com)
- Syracuse Basketball: Greg Paulus, now leading Niagara, is coming ‘home’ (InsideTheLoudHouse.com)
GAME DAY! ?✊ pic.twitter.com/XLXaSz5T1B
— Syracuse Men’s Basketball (@Cuse_MBB) December 3, 2020
Syracuse-Niagara tonight will air on the Regional Sports Networks (YES Network locally) at 8pm
Niagara is ranked 252nd in DI, per KenPom, which gives the Orange a 96 percent change to win and predicts a 20-point victory. SU has won the last nine games vs. Niagara dating to 1971.
— Matthew Gutierrez (@MatthewGut21) December 3, 2020