The William Smith College ice hockey team defeated Hilbert 11-0 in a non-conference contest at The Cooler this evening. With the victory, William Smith is now 4-3-0 on the season.
Four different players had multi-goal games for William Smith led by Grace Romeo, who recorded her first career hat trick in the victory. She is the first Heron to record a hat trick since Jules Kennedy ’21 did it on Feb. 7, 2020. Romeo added two assists to finish with a game-high five points. Mackenzie O’Neil (2g, 1a), Kayla Ketchabaw (2g, 1a) and Colleen Quirk (3a) had three points in the game. Mia Iwicki played all 60 minutes in goal, making 10 saves as she earned her first career victory.
Tia Card played all 60 minutes in goal for the Hawks (1-6-0). She made a season-high 64 saves in the loss. Hilbert is in its second year as a varsity program
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- William Smith finished the game with a 75-10 advantage in shots on goal.
- Neither team scored a power-play goal. The Herons were 0-for-2 and the Hawks were 0-for-3 with the extra attacker.
- The 11 goals were the most the Herons have scored in a game since Feb. 7 against King’s College. They also scored 11 in that game. The program record for goals in a game is 13
- William Smith opened the scoring at the 9:28 mark of the first period. Elizabeth MacMurraypicked up a loose puck and flipped a shot over Card’s shoulder. Her third goal of the season was assisted by Ketchabaw and Quirk.
- Romeo pocketed her first goal of the game with just under three minutes remaining in the opening period. She slipped a backhanded shot across the goal line. Quirk and Annabel Ziskinwere awarded assists on the tally.
- O’Neil extended the lead to three goals late in the first period. Her second goal of the season was a shorthanded strike.
- Ketchabaw made it a four-goal game 37 seconds into the middle stanza. Her fifth goal of the season was assisted by Romeo.
- Just before the midway point of the game O’Neli added her second goal of the game. She wristed a shot from the left faceoff circle past Card. Sarah Herns and Quirk were awarded assists on the tally.
- Kelly Howe scored the game’s next two goals. At the 15:44 mark of the period she redirected a shot from Ziskin past Card for her second goal of the season. Romeo also had an assist on the goal. Four minutes later, Howe broke up a play at the blue line and wristed a shot into the upper right corner of the goal.
- Romeo completed her hat trick with the game’s next two goals. Forty-eight seconds into the third period she slipped a shot through the goalie’s legs. Seneca Urban and Tara Valas had assists on the goal. Her third goal of the game and fourth of the season was assisted by Sarah Hearns.
- Lauren Legler and Ketchabaw rounded out the scoring. Legler’s goal was assisted by Alex George and O’Neil. Ketchabaw’s goal was unassisted.
William Smith will be back in action this weekend, Nov. 17-18, when it heads to New Haven, Connecticut to take on Albertus Magnus College. The Falcons are in their first year as a varsity program.