At Seneca Meadows we have traffic flow plans and patterns in place along with maps that identify potential “hot zones” where there is a higher potential for dangerous situations. We also train our team to maintain safe following distances between vehicles. 4 seconds of space is the general rule of distance, and it doubles to 8 seconds in inclement weather, heavy traffic and night driving.
Strategies to mind your distance:
- Adjust speed gradually and vehicle position to create optimal distance.
- Always leave the front and one side open to be able to make a distance creating maneuver.
- Avoid tailgaters and let them pass.
- Understand traffic patterns and stay within those patterns.
- Use 12 seconds of space in bad weather.
Kyle Black is the District Manager at Seneca Meadows Landfill located in Seneca Falls, New York.