Sophomore forward Lauren Legler scored with 1:53 remaining in regulation to send the Heron ice hockey team past Potsdam, 3-2, in a non-conference contest at the William G. Allyn Ice Arena on Tuesday evening. With the victory, the Herons are now 5-4-1 overall this season. The Bears fall to 4-4-0 on the year.
Brittany Foster had two goals and Emily Cataldo logged a pair of assists to lead William Smith. Annie Hauser had an assist and made 35 saves as she earned the win. Ellie Zurfluh made 19 saves in 60 minutes in goal for Potsdam.
- Potsdam finished the game with a 37-22 edge in shots on goal.
- William Smith was 1-for-3 on the power play and Potsdam was 0-for-4 with the extra skater.
- William Smith jumped out to a two-goal lead just after the midway point of the opening frame.
- At the 5:11 mark of the period, Brittany Foster slipped a shot from the low slot past Zurfluh for her first goal of the season. Cataldo notched an assist on the goal.
- Five minutes later, Foster struck again. She pounced on a rebound and flipped a shot over the goal line. Cataldo picked up an assist after forcing a turnover at the offensive blue line.
- Neither team found the back of the net in the second period. Potsdam had a slight 9-8 edge in shots in the period.
- Cataldo nearly gave William Smith a three-goal lead, but her shot was stopped by Zurfluh.
- Potsdam swung momentum in its favor with a mid-period power play, but they were stymied by Hauser.
- Potsdam had a chance to get back in the game early in the third period with a nearly minute-long 5-on-3 power play. The Herons limited the Bears to one shot on the two-player advantage.
- Potsdam used the momentum from the power play to make it a 2-1 game. Alex Quinn’s shot from the point fluttered past Hauser. Quinn’s third goal of the season was assisted by Rebecca Cain and Emily DellaNeve.
- The Bears tied the game at the 12:38 mark of the period. Sara Barrett caused a turnover at the defensive blue line, raced the length of the ice and wristed a shot over the goal line. The unassisted goal was her first of the season.
- Legler won the game at the 18:07 mark of the frame. She cleaned up a rebound for her second goal of the game. Julianna Gong and Hauser were awarded assists on the power-play goal. Hauser left the puck for Gong below the goal line. Gong skated the length of the ice and snapped a shot on goal. Legler swiped the loose puck across the goal line.
William Smith will be back in action on Friday, December 2, when it returns to New England Hockey Conference play. The Herons will take on Castleton in Vermont. Faceoff is scheduled for 6 p.m.