The William Smith College ice hockey team scored first, but Oswego notched five unanswered goals as the Lakers knocked off the Herons, 5-1, in a non-conference contest at the Deborah F. Stanley Arena Tuesday evening. With the loss, the Herons fall to 4-4-1 on the season. The Lakers are now 6-3-0 on the year.
Erin Murray started in goal for William Smith and made 35 saves. Joanna Hiebert played all 60 minutes in the Oswego goal and made 16 saves.
- Oswego finished the game with a 40-17 edge in shots on goal. Neither team converted on its power-play opportunities. The Lakers were 0-for-4 and the Herons were 0-for-1.
- Three different Oswego players had multi-point games, including Morgan Shines who had a pair of goals.
- William Smith opened the scoring six minutes into the game. Lauren Legler beat Hiebert for her first goal of the season. Izzy Friedmanand Annabel Ziskin were credited with assists on the goal.
- Two minutes later, Morgan Shines tied the game. She fired a shot from the point past Murray for her second goal of the season.
- Mack Hull scored the game-winning goal at the 4:26 mark of the middle frame. She one-timed a shot into the back of the net. Her third goal of the season was assisted by Ariella Haas and Amanda Zenstein.
- Three minutes later, Ashlyn McGrath extended the lead to two goals. She collected a pass from Haas and slipped a shot across the goal line. It was her seventh goal of the season.
- Kyleigh Grugin put the game out of reach with her second goal of the year. McGrath and Rheya Zemlak notched assists on the tally.
- Shines added an insurance goal at the 6:36 mark of the final stanza. Her third goal of the year was assisted by Myah Booth and Rylee Preston.
- The Lakers outshot the Herons 13-3 in the period.
William Smith will be back in action next Tuesday, November 29, when it heads to Skaneateles, N.Y., to take on Potsdam. Faceoff is scheduled for 7 p.m.