Get ready to ring in the New Year with a $500 million Powerball jackpot.
According to a NY State Lottery Commission news release:
The jackpot has been rolling since October when the top prize of $699.8 million was claimed in California. The last jackpot winner in New York came in September of 2020 when the September 2020 LLC claimed the $94.8 million jackpot.
There have been three second prize Powerball winning tickets sold in New York since the roll up began.
New York Lottery players aren’t the only winners when the Powerball jackpot rolls. Ticket sales during the weeks leading up to Saturday’s drawing have generated more than $30 million in Lottery Aid to Education.
New York began selling Powerball tickets in 2010. Since then, New York has sold 12 jackpot-winning tickets worth a collective $1.6 billion. Individual winners include:
- Jeffrey & Christine Pintuff of Gansevoort who won $48.8 million in 2010
- Stephen Kirwan of Purling who won $122.1 million in 2011
- 1937 Flatbush Avenue Dodgers Group of Jericho who shared $201.9 million in 2011
- Case Park, LLC of Hartsdale who claimed $70 million in 2012
- Maksim Nikolayev of Brooklyn who took home $130.3 million in 2013
- Anthony Perosi and his son Anthony Perosi III of Manhattan who split $136 million in 2015
- Sea and Sand Trust, of Uniondale who won $245.6 million in 2018
- Robert Bailey, of Manhattan, who split a jackpot of $687.8 million in 2018
- Dave Johnson, of Brooklyn, won the last jackpot of $298.3 million in 2018
- Healthy Rainbow, LLC of Uniondale, won a jackpot of $148 million in 2019
- David Yax, of North Evans, won $80 million in 2019
- September 202 LLC, of Valhalla, won $94.8 million in September of 2020
Tickets for Saturday’s Powerball drawing may be purchased until 10 p.m. The winning numbers for the Powerball game are drawn from a field of one to 69. The Powerball number is drawn from a separate field one to of 26. The Powerball drawing is televised every Monday, Wednesday and Saturday at 11 p.m.
FingerLakes1.com is the region’s leading all-digital news publication. The company was founded in 1998 and has been keeping residents informed for more than two decades. Have a lead? Send it to [email protected].