Leaders from the Finger Lakes region described the path forward during a call with media on Wednesday outlining vaccine response.
Dr. Mike Mendoza said during the call that counties in the region were taking the lead vaccinating people based on occupation while health systems focused on connecting with patients as they become eligible for it.
This week the state entered Phase 1B, which means that anyone over the age of 65 is eligible along with most frontline workers.
The task force noted at this point that around 76,000 doses of the vaccine had been received. For the last three weeks the vaccine has been rolling out to healthcare workers and those inside nursing homes as part of Phase 1A.
Monroe County Executive Adam Bello who is part of the region’s leadership team said that eligibility is ‘far outnumbering’ available doses.
— Josh Durso (@FLXJosh) January 12, 2021
Counties voiced frustration with the demand and lack of available doses earlier in the week. Gov. Andrew Cuomo warned that this would be a likely scenario late last week when he began talking about the prospect of opening up additional waves of vaccine recipients.
FingerLakes1.com is the region’s leading all-digital news publication. The company was founded in 1998 and has been keeping residents informed for more than two decades. Have a lead? Send it to [email protected]