The top-ranked Hobart College hockey team defeated sixth-ranked Norwich 3-0 in a New England Hockey Conference contest at The Cooler this evening. With the win, Hobart is now 2-1-0 on the season and 1-0-0 in conference play.
Eight different Statesmen recorded a point in the victory. Damon Beaver stopped all 20 shots he faced as he picked up his eighth shutout of his career.
Sami Molu made 24 saves in 60 minutes in goal for the Cadets (1-1-0, 0-1-0).
FOR THE RECORD
- Hobart extended its winning streak at The Cooler to 21 straight games.
- With his eighth career shutout, moved into a tie for second on Hobart’s career shutout list. He is tied with Hobart Hall of Famer Keith Longo ’09.
- Hobart finished the game with a 27-20 advantage in shots on goal.
- The Statesmen were 1-for-2 on the power play and Norwich was 0-for-3 with the extra skater.
- Hobart has killed off 13 straight power plays to start the season.
- Hobart opened the scoring at the 12:54 mark of the first period. Ignat Belov picked up a rebound in the slot and backhanded a shot past Molu for his second goal of the season. Austin Mourar and Jared Patterson were awarded assists on the power-play goal.
- Kahlil Fontana gave Hobart a 2-0 lead just over six minutes into the second period. He redirected a shot from Matthew Perryman past Molu. Luke Aquaro was also credited with an assist on the tally.
- Tanner Hartman rounded out the scoring in the third period. Following a faceoff win by Artem Buzoverya, he wristed a shot through the goalie’s legs for his second goal of the season.
“I thought tonight we played more like how we play Hobart hockey,” Mason Family Hobart Head Hockey Coach Mark Taylor said. “We were playing more together. We play full speed and we play with a certain level of character and effort and I think we are getting back to our level. Tonight was a little cleaner and more us.”
Hobart will be back in action tomorrow, Nov. 4, when it welcomes New England College to The Cooler. Faceoff is scheduled for 4 p.m.