Hobart College junior forward Frederick Madsen scored in the 52nd minute as the Statesmen defeated Utica 1-0 in a non-conference contest on Cozzens Field this afternoon. With the win, Hobart is now 7-5-2 overall this season.
Guillermo Castañeda Chang played all 90 minutes in goal for the Statesmen and made seven saves. It was his fifth shutout of the season.
Zack Accetta played all 90 minutes in goal for the Pioneers (4-7-2). He made two saves.
- Hobart finished the game with a 13-10 edge in shots. The Pioneers, however, finished the contest with a 7-3 advantage in shots on goal.
- The Statesmen had eight corner kicks to Utica’s two.
- Hobart is now 37-1-0 all-time against Utica, including 19 wins in Geneva.
- Madsen’s third goal of the season was all the Statesmen would need in today’s contest. Early in the second half, Amad Miller carried the ball down the left wing and crossed it into the box. The ball sailed just over Accetta’s hands and fell at Madsen’s feet. Madsen swept the ball into the open cage.
- In the seventh minute, Brandon Pender fired the first shot on goal. Castañeda Chang dove to his right to make a save.
- Castañeda Chang made another spectacular stop in the 31st minute, robbing Adin Day of a golden scoring chance.
- Castañeda Chang continued his spectacular play in the second half. In the 56th minute, he smothered another chance from Pender.
- In the 57th minute, Quinn Phillips nearly gave Hobart a 2-0 lead, but his shot hit the left goalpost.
- He made perhaps his best save of the game in the 82nd minute when he made a diving stop on a shot from Noah Scranton to preserve the shutout.
Hobart will continue its four-game homestand on Saturday, Oct. 21, when they welcome Bard to Cozzens Field. The game is scheduled to begin at 2 p.m.