According to OSHA falls are the leading cause of death in construction. We understand how to keep our team safe, encourage safe behaviors and help our team adhere to fall protection requirements. Whether it be utilizing a ladder or avoiding other hazards, many of these behaviors can be incorporated into typical tasks at home.
5 fundamentals for fall prevention:
- Be sure straight ladders are long enough so that the side rails extend at least 36 inches above top support point.
- Set ladders on solid footing and place base out away from wall of edge approximately one foot for every four feet of vertical height.
- Refrain from using ladders as a platform or scaffold.
- Always use three points of contact when climbing or descending.
- Adjust ladder position as needed and avoid leaning out to the side.
Kyle Black is the District Manager at Seneca Meadows Landfill located in Seneca Falls, New York.