An appeals court ruled Wednesday that all of New York’s concealed carry rules will remain in tact for now.
The temporary pause follows a federal judge’s decision last week to halt key parts of the gun laws, which restrict where people can carry weapons, as well as requiring permit holders to share social media information with authorities.
The laws went into effect September 1st and have been a political flashpoint since that time.
Now, the laws will remain in place until a three-judge panel decides on the motion.
“I am pleased that the full Concealed Carry Improvement Act will stay in effect and continue to protect communities as the appeals process moves forward. My office will continue our efforts to protect the safety of everyday New Yorkers and defend our common-sense gun laws,” Attorney General Letitia James said in a statement.
Governor Kathy Hochul was pleased with the court’s outcome, too.
“The interim administrative stay of the district court’s temporary restraining order is an important and appropriate step and affirms that the Concealed Carry Improvement Act will remain in effect during the appeals process. My top priority will always be to keep New Yorkers safe, and we will continue working with the Office of the Attorney General to defend our gun safety laws,” she said in a statement.
FingerLakes1.com is the region’s leading all-digital news publication. The company was founded in 1998 and has been keeping residents informed for more than two decades. Have a lead? Send it to [email protected].