Two separate cities are offering guaranteed income programs.
The two programs combined could be up to $1,350.
UBI stands for universal basic income. There are two cities with UBI programs that have deadlines approaching. UBI payments come on a monthly payments. Read more about it here.
In Chicago, 5,000 residents will get $500 monthly payments for a year.
In order to qualify:
- You need to be at least 18 years old
- Experienced financial difficulty related to Covid-19
- Have a household income at or below 250% of the federal poverty level
Eligible applicants will be placed into a lottery. The lottery is designed to prioritize communities with preexisting hardship. Applications must be submitted by Friday, May 13.
More than 650 women in Georgia will get $850 in monthly payments for two years. The In Her Hands program is being run in collaboration with GiveDirectly and the Georgia Resilience and Opportunity Fund. Both of the programs In Her Hands is in collaboration with are nonprofit organizations.
Details suggest that you must live in Old Fourth Ward, or parts of Sweet Auburn to get the benefit. Other eligibility requirements include:
- A woman that is at least 18 years old
- Suffered negative impact from Covid-19, which includes health problems or loss of employment
- Income must be at or below 200% of the federal poverty level
If you are eligible, you can apply online until May 15.
FingerLakes1.com is the region’s leading all-digital news publication. The company was founded in 1998 and has been keeping residents informed for more than two decades. Have a lead? Send it to [email protected]