The Cayuga County Tourism Office is very excited to announce the recipients of the Harriet Tubman Bicentenial Events Grant! We asked local business and organizations to come up with an event, activity or performance that would educate, entertain, inspire and promote Harriet Tubman’s life and legacy.
We were very pleased with the creative ideas presented and are looking forward to many great events celebrating Harriet Tubman’s Bicentenial and highlighting black history in Cayuga County. Karen Kuhl, Executive Director of the Cayuga County Office of Touism said, “Harriet Tubman chose to spend over 50 years of her life in Cayuga County and with the Bicentennial birthday celebration, these events are an opportunity to honor her. We hope these events become annual traditions and Harriet Tubman’s legacy continues to be elevated.”
- Seward House Museum: Project: A community-wide watch party of PBS documentary: “Harriet Tubman: Visions of Freedom”
- Howland Stone School Museum: Project: “All are Welcome Here: African-American Connections to Sherwood”
- Booker T Washington: Project: Juneteenth celebration in Auburn, NY
- RB Entertainment: Project: An evening of cocktail, food, music, and awards to kick off Juneteenth weekend
- aaduna Inc: Project: “Voices in the Legacy of Tubman”
- CNY Sports Management: Project: “Harriet Tubman’s Chet Copes Classic”
- Auburn Public Theater: Project: Slim Freedom – educational program and public performance
- Montezuma Historical Society: Project: “The Path to Freedom: The Eliza Story”
Thanks to the success of the first round, the tourism board approved a second round of grants. This will open up the opportunity to the organizations that didn’t get a chance to apply the first time. Grant applications open April 12th, 2022, to apply, click here.
The Cayuga County Office Convention and Visitors Bureau Inc. was established in 1995 as Cayuga County’s official tourism promotion agency. Our mission is to promote, support and increase tourism and thereby stimulate economic growth and improve the quality of life for area residents.
FingerLakes1.com is the region’s leading all-digital news publication. The company was founded in 1998 and has been keeping residents informed for more than two decades. Have a lead? Send it to [email protected]