Many states have announced that they are dropping mask mandates.
The rationale behind this is rising immunity and increased vaccination levels, but the CDC is concerned.
What states are dropping the mandate?
The CDC has warned about dropping the mask mandate too soon. The CDC has yet to change their guidelines on COVID-19, but some states are taking into their own hands. Read more about it here.
- Delaware- indoor mask mandate ends Feb.11, and school mask mandates end March 31.
- New Jersey- plans to end school mandates this month.
- Connecticut- plans to end theirs Feb. 28.
- Oregon- ends for public indoor and school settings by the end of March.
- New York- no longer requiring businesses to ask customers for proof of vaccination or mask requirements.
The director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Dr. Rochelle Walensky said that, “now is not the moment.”
Walenksy says, “I know people are interested in taking masks off. I too am interested. That would be one marker that we have much of the pandemic behind us. Right now our CDC guidance has not changed. … We continue to endorse universal masking in schools.”
FingerLakes1.com is the region’s leading all-digital news publication. The company was founded in 1998 and has been keeping residents informed for more than two decades. Have a lead? Send it to [email protected].