Rochester Institute of Technology sophomore forward Elijah Gonsalves (Scarborough, Ontario) scored his first goal of the season, but it was No. 9 Clarkson taking down the visiting Tigers, 5-1, Sunday afternoon.
FINAL SCORE | Clarkson 5, #RIT 1; Knights tacked on an empty-netter with :59 left.
— RIT Men's Hockey (@RITMHKY) November 30, 2020
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Clarkson took a 1-0 lead with a power play goal with 5:41 on the first-period clock. Jack Jacome scored on a shot through a crowded crease after the Tigers were whistled for a tripping penalty 12 seconds earlier.
- Clarkson took a 2-0 lead with 3:46 left in the first period after Anthony Callin scored on feed from behind the goal from Alex Campbell.
- RIT got on the board skating 5-on-3 following a pair Golden Knight penalties in a 13-second span. Gonsalves slipped a cross-ice feed from senior forward Jake Hamacher (Corona, Calif.) inside the left post with 16:56 on the second-period clock.
- Clarkson re-took a 3-1 lead with a power play goal with 14:26 left in the second. Grant Cooper jammed a rebound under RIT senior goaltender Ian Andriano’s (Barrie, Ontario/Ottawa Jr. Senators) pads during a scrum in front of the Tiger crease.
- Clarkson’s lead grew to three after a Cooper back-hander on goal pinballed off a skate into the back of the RIT goal with 2:33 left in regulation.
- The Golden Knights tacked on an empty-netter with 59 seconds left to close the game.