Last week the New York State Thruway Authority made ‘cashless tolling’ fully-operational. It was a moves months-in-the-making.
Constructed over the last two years large, high-speed camera mounted gates hang over the Thruway and some exits. They replace the tollbooths, which are as much a part of travel history in New York, as anything else.
But on Monday, work began in the Finger Lakes to tear them down. The state says that around 230 total booths will have to be removed. The Thruway Authority says it will start with high-volume locations first – like Exit 45 in Victor – and work to less-busy ones as the process unfolds.
While no definitive date has been set – officials say they will be down across the state by some point in 2021.
Cashless tolling is off to a hot start. More than 1.5 million transactions had been logged in the first day, according to data from the Thruway Authority.
FingerLakes1.com is the region’s leading all-digital news publication. The company was founded in 1998 and has been keeping residents informed for more than two decades. Have a lead? Send it to [email protected]