Skip to content
Home » Ontario County » Canandaigua » Canandaigua’s Gorham House nominated to state, national historic registers

Canandaigua’s Gorham House nominated to state, national historic registers

  • / Updated:
  • Staff Report 

Governor Kathy Hochul announced the nomination of 15 historic sites across New York State to the State and National Registers of Historic Places. The diverse nominations, recommended by the New York State Board for Historic Preservation, span from churches in North Harpersfield and industrial structures in Troy, to the residence of a celebrated children’s book illustrator in Canandaigua. In alignment with Women’s History Month, the governor underscored the nominations’ focus on sites associated with women’s history, including the Three Arts Club in New York City, which offered housing and professional development to female artists.


These nominations aim to preserve New York’s rich history and cultural diversity. Highlighting the efforts, Governor Hochul emphasized the state’s commitment to recognizing and safeguarding stories that define New York. The nominations, which span a variety of historic narratives, intend to foster public engagement with the state’s past and promote preservation.

The State and National Registers of Historic Places listing provides recognition and support for the preservation of New York’s storied past. The designation facilitates access to preservation programs and incentives, vital for maintaining the vitality of these historic properties.

Here’s more on Ontario County’s nomination:

William W. Gorham House, Ontario County – Located just beyond the Canandaigua city limits, the house is one of few remaining stone buildings from the town’s early development period. The two-story Greek Revival-style house was part of a large farm known as Oak Hill, built for a husband and wife who were descendants of Nathaniel Gorham and Jasper Parrish, the heads of two of Canandaigua’s prominent founding families. The house was built between 1826 and 1828 by local builders Malachi Lovelace and Jonathan Wells, who also built the J. A. Granger House at the corner of North Main and Gibson Streets. The house was later occupied by Major Joseph J. Kingsbury, who helped select Canandaigua as the new location for a Veteran’s Hospital, and Eloise Wilkin, an illustrator for Little Golden Books. She used one of the rooms in the house as her studio and included the house in some of her illustrations.