The Hobart College basketball team defeated College of St. Scholastica 81-66 in the Florida Sunshine Shootout tonight. First-year Alex Moesch paced the Statesmen, exploding for a season-high 25 points.
Moesch produced a game-high 14 points in the first half and finished the game 9-of-13 shooting with a season-high five 3-pointers. Junior Pat Healy was also 9-of-13 shooting and logged 21 points and a team-high three assists. Junior Aidan Rodgers added 13 points.
Noah Winesett led the Saints with 21 points. Tanner Thomson chipped in 14 points.
FOR THE RECORD
- Hobart improved to 10-0, extending the program record for wins to start a season.
- St. Scholastica dropped to 1-9.
- For the third time this season, the Statesmen enjoyed a double digit rebounding advantage. Hobart outrebounded the Saints 37-27. Senior Ryan Lucey corralled a game-high nine caroms for the Statesmen.
- Hobart made nine steals on St. Scholastica’s 15 turnovers. The Statesmen enjoyed a 19-9 advantage in points off turnovers. Junior Carter Meshanic had a team-high three thefts to go with seven points and eight rebounds.
- The Saints shot better than Hobart overall (55%-43%) and from deep (47%-40%), but the Statesmen made more free throws than St. Scholastica attempted (15-14).
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Hobart got off to a slow start, missing its first seven shots from the floor. That allowed the Saints to get off to a 9-1 lead.
- The Statesmen fought back to tie the game at 26 on a layup by junior Hunter Meshanic with about seven minutes left in the half.
- The tying bucket came in the middle of a 10-0 Hobart run that put the Statesmen up 32-26.
- Moesch made a 3-pointer in the waning seconds of the first half, sending Hobart into the break with a 39-34 lead.
- The Statesmen broke the game open with a 13-2 run to start the second half. Rodgers poured in seven points during the surge that stretched Hobart’s lead to 16.
- The Statesmen maintained a double digit lead for the rest of the game, pressing their advantage to as many as 20.
GIVE ME LIBERTY
- Hobart will ring in the new year by returning to Liberty League play. The Statesmen will travel to RIT, tipping off against the Tigers at 7:30 p.m. Friday, Jan. 5.