The Seneca County Sheriff’s Office provided an update on a devastating structure fire that destroyed a home in South Seneca.
On Tuesday a large fire engulfed a residence on Brokaw Road in the town of Lodi resulting in an estimated loss of $50,000.
The Seneca County Sheriff’s Office, alerted by a passerby who noticed smoke, arrived at the scene around 9:06 a.m. The fire, already intense upon the arrival of law enforcement and local fire departments, claimed the residence and tragically, three dogs that were inside at the time.
The Lodi Fire Department took command of the operation, with multiple agencies including Romulus, Ovid, Interlaken, Trumansburg, Burdette, and Mecklenburg Fire Departments contributing to the efforts.
The fire was brought under control within 30 minutes. The homeowners were not present during the incident.
The investigation led by the Seneca County Fire Investigation Team revealed that a faulty electric space heater might have sparked the blaze.
Compounding the tragedy, the residence, later condemned by County Codes due to significant damage, was uninsured.
The Red Cross is assisting the Palmers, while the incident also saw support from the New York State Police, Interlaken Police Department, and South Seneca Ambulance.
FingerLakes1.com is the region’s leading all-digital news publication. The company was founded in 1998 and has been keeping residents informed for more than two decades. Have a lead? Send it to [email protected].