Four different players scored a goal as the seventh-ranked William Smith College soccer team defeated Nazareth University 4-1 in a NCAA tournament first round game on Cozzens Field this afternoon. With the win the Herons are now 14-0-4 overall.
Julia Berg, Ruth Hotaling, Emma Faso and Lindsay Ringbloomscored for the Herons. Kirsten Nelson played all 90 minutes in goal and made two saves.
Annika Monfort started in goal for the Golden Flyers. She made seven saves. Nazareth concludes its season with an 8-5-6 overall record.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- William Smith finished the contest with a 21-5 shot advantage.
- The Herons had all three of the game’s corners.
- Berg opened the scoring in the 15th minute. She drilled a crossing pass from Seneca Blakely-Armitage past Monfort for her fifth goal of the season.
- Hotaling made it 2-0 in the 23rd minute. She intercepted a pass in the midfield, dribbled around a pair of defenders and slipped a shot across the goal line. Her fifth goal of the season was unassisted.
- Haley Glassman got the Golden Flyers on the board in the 24th minute. She ran onto the end of a Tatum Overton leading pass and chipped a shot over Nelson. Olivia Foley also had an assist on the goal. It was the first goal William Smith had allowed since Sept. 23.
- Faso extended William Smith’s lead back out to two goals in the 30th minute. Three minutes after subbing into her first game in since Sept. 30, she curled a shot around Monfort for her fourth goal of the season. Moira van der Putt notched an assist on the goal.
- Ringbloom rounded out the scoring in the 87th minute. She cleaned up a bouncing ball in the box for her first collegiate goal. Emma Kirts was awarded an assist on the tally.
William Smith will be back in action tomorrow, Nov. 12, against either Bowdoin or Swarthmore. The second round game is scheduled to begin at 1 p.m. on Cozzens Field.