Anthony Mazzeo hit a pair of buzzer beaters to lead Baldwin Wallace University to an 85-84 victory over Hobart College in non-conference men’s basketball action on Wednesday afternoon. He made his fourth 3-pointer of the game to tie the game at 78 and force OT and then connected on a fifth triple to win it as the buzzer sounded the end of the extra five minutes.
Statesmen Jackson Meshanic produced his seventh double-double of the season, logging game-highs of 27 points and 15 rebounds. Carter Meshanic added 18 points, five boards, and a game-high three blocked shots. Andrew Lynch also made five 3-pointers, finishing with 15 points, while Aidan Rodgers had 11 points five rebounds, and a team-high four assists.
Mazzeo led the Yellow Jackets with 25 points. Jackson Simmons posted a double-double on 10 points and a team-high 14 rebounds before fouling out in the final minute of the contest. Jake Snyder and Ray Ellington also made bids for a double-double. Snyder logged 15 points and a game-high eight assists while Ellington had 14 points and nine boards.
- Hobart shot 65.2% at the free-throw line (15-23). The Statesmen missed two free throw attempts in the final minute of regulation and were just 4-of-8 at the line in OT.
- Hobart began the week third in the nation in rebounding margin and outrebounded Baldwin-Wallace 49-40. In addition to Jackson Meshanic’s 15 boards, Evan Goldberg grabbed 11.
- The Statesmen shot an impressive 58.3% from 3-point range (7-12), but the Yellow Jackets had the upper hand in quantity. The home team fired off 35 shots from downtown, making 13.
- Baldwin-Wallace opened the game on a 13-4 run.
- Hobart threatened to run away with the game, countering with a 36-11 surge that put the visitors up 40-24 with just under six minutes remaining.
- The Yellowjackets used a 23-8 run to end the half, trailing by just one, 48-47.
- The Statesmen opened the second half on a 14-5 run that gave them a 10-point lead with under 16 minutes left in regulation. They stretched that advantage to 14 on a layup by Hunter Meshanic just past the 12-minute mark.
- Over the next nine minutes, Hobart made just one field goal, allowing BW to reclaim the lead 74-73 with an 18-3 run.
- Jackson Meshanic put the Statesmen back in front 74-73 with a layup and Aidan Rodgers made it a 78-74 game with a 3-pointer with 71 seconds left in regulation.
- Snyder made 1-of-2 free throws at the 1:04 mark to set up the drama of Mazzeo’s first buzzer-beater.
- Hobart never trailed in overtime until Mazzeo hit the game-winner. However, the Statesmen weren’t able to gain much of a lead either. Hobart’s biggest edge in the extra session was 83-80 with 25 seconds left.
FOR THE RECORD
- Hobart falls to 6-4.
- Baldwin Wallace evens its record at 5-5.
- The Statesmen will have a three-week layoff for the holidays before returning to competition on January 6 when they welcome Liberty League rival RIT to Bristol Gym.