TANF is a welfare program designed to help needy families by providing aid.
But who is eligible and how do you apply?
Who is eligible?
TANF is also known as CalWORKS— it is a welfare program designed to provide assistance to needy families. The program is available in all 58 counties and operates through each county’s welfare department. The funding is available for families with little to no money and need housing, food, utilities, clothing or medical care. Eligible families will receive immediate short-term help through the program.
In order to qualify you must:
- be living in California
- be US citizen or an immigrant with permission to love in the US
- must have eligible child/ children or are pregnant
- not live with with your parents
- must also provide proof that the money from their job is less than the maximum aid payment for your family size
- have less than $10,000 in cash, bank, accounts and other resources ($15,000 if disabled or 60 years or older)
- must follow Child Support Services Department (CSSD) rules to get child support for the children
You can start the CalWORKS application by filling out the form on the BenefitsCal portal.