There is still some time to take advantage of ETIC and other tax credits.
But can you claim them as a single person?
What are the eligibility requirements for ETIC?
The Earned Income Tax Credit(ETIC) is for low to middle income families. In some cases, you may be able to file for ETIC even if you don’t claim children on your tax return. Read more about it here.
In order to qualify as a single person, you’ll have to meet additional requirements. You can file as:
- married filing jointly
- head of household
- qualifying widow
- married filing separate
ETIC is designed to provide relief to low income families. You can claim the credit if you:
- have worked and earned at least $1 in 2021
- have earnings within the income threshold
- have investment income below $10,000 during 2021 tax year
- have a valid Social Security number
- be a US citizen or resident alien for the whole year
- must not file Form 2555
You can receive ETIC if you don’t have kids, but you’ll have to satisfy different requirements:
- must have lived in the US for at lease half a year
- cannot be the subject of a claim/ dependent on another persons return
- must be at least 24if you were a student for at least five months
- must be 18 if you were in foster care any time after turning 14 or were homeless or otherwise 19
FingerLakes1.com is the region’s leading all-digital news publication. The company was founded in 1998 and has been keeping residents informed for more than two decades. Have a lead? Send it to [email protected].