AOTC is an important tax break for families pitting a dependent through college.
It can be used to save money during the first four years if you are eligible.
What is the income limit for the American Opportunity Tax Credit?
AOTC isn’t available to everyone, it is designed to help families who need the support. Because of that, there is limit a based off modified adjusted gross income(MAGI). For most taxpayers, it is equal to their adjusted gross income. Click here to read more.
In order to qualify and receive the full AOTC, your MAGI must be $80,000 or less, or $160,000 or less if filing jointly.
If you meet all of the criteria, the maximum credit you can get is $2,500 per student.
Are there other eligibility qualifications?
The IRS says that in order to receive AOTC you must also:
- student is pursing a degree or recognized education credential
- student must be enrolled at least half time for at least one academic period
- must still be in the four years of college
- student must not have claimed AOTC or former Hope credit for more than four tax years
- student cannot have a felony drug conviction at the end of the tax year
FingerLakes1.com is the region’s leading all-digital news publication. The company was founded in 1998 and has been keeping residents informed for more than two decades. Have a lead? Send it to [email protected].