Having an online account with the IRS is important for many reasons, including being able to check your tax transcripts.
It can be a bit more of a hassle to get an account compared to other accounts, but the access you have to things may be worth it.
It isn’t required that you have an online account to e-file your taxes, these are two separate things.
What will the IRS online account give you?
The account lets you see important documents like your tax transcripts.
It also provides tools and services for you to take advantage of like updating important information.
Other tax information you can access includes
- Tax return details
- Payment history for 5 years
- Taxes owed
- Stimulus payment information
- Child tax credit payment information
- IRS notices you’ve received
It’s advised you start an account so if you run into tax related issues in the future, you can get a handle on it quicker.
Necessary things to start an account with the IRS
- Email address
- Mailing address
- Passport or driver’s license
- SSN or TIN
- Mobile phone registered to you
Marca has provided information on what you need to do to start your online account.
Steps to creating your online IRS account
- Visit the ID.me page to create an account with your email and a password
- Confirm your email
- Enable multifactor authentication on your phone
- To do your ID verification, choose the self service with a video selfie or chat with an agent through video
- Upload your ID
- Upload your video selfie or meet with the agent through video chat
- Provide your SSN
- Authorize your ID.me access from the IRS
FingerLakes1.com is the region’s leading all-digital news publication. The company was founded in 1998 and has been keeping residents informed for more than two decades. Have a lead? Send it to [email protected].