Skip to content
Home » Valentine's Day » How to protect yourself when you lose SSI benefits

How to protect yourself when you lose SSI benefits

Millions of Americans collect Social Security Income as a way to make ends meet due to a medical disability, being blind, or having little income to survive.

Some people end up going off of SSI, because despite being disabled or qualifying in other ways, they’ve gone past the financial limit.

Many SSI recipients are 65 or older, and some collect SSDI as well.

Related: Social Security and food stamp SNAP benefits will be available to Americans quicker

DiSanto Propane (Billboard)

Unfortunately, things like marriage or saving for retirement can cause a person to lose those benefits.

SSI benefits are supported by tax revenue, not Social Security taxes. They provide financial help for food, clothing, and shelter.

There are ways to protect yourself if you end up losing your SSI benefits.

Related: What do I need to apply for Social Security and how long does it take to receive benefits?


Expedited Reinstatement explained

Expedited Reinstatement, or EXR, helps those that lost their benefits get them back without having to go through the application process all over again.

While the Social Security Administration reviews whether you qualify, you’ll be given temporary benefits for up to six months.

In order to qualify for benefits again, you need to have lost your benefits originally from making money at work, be unable to work and make money, be disabled in the same way you were before which allowed you to collect benefits, and make the request within five years from when your benefits originally ended.

Related: How can I get my Social Security checks faster?

DiSanto Propane (Billboard)

When you request EXR, you will receive provisional, or temporary, benefits.

This includes cash payments along with Medicare or Medicaid coverage.

If your request is denied you may not need to be them back.

They are provided for up to 6 months, but could end earlier if you’re notified of the SSA’s decision, engage in substantial gainful activity, or reach your full age of retirement.

Categories: News