During his daily conference call on Thursday, Governor Andrew Cuomo responded to a call from superintendents across New York State to delay the start of sports.
Earlier in the week he called several sports ‘low-risk’ and gave them the green light to begin playing and practicing on September 21st.
However, the New York Council of School Superintendents requested that the Governor postpone all sports until January.
“It’s up to the individual school districts to determine whether they want to go ahead with the sports program,” he said. The Governor said the guidance was not issued as a deterring factor, but rather a move to give schools a path forward if they so choose. “Different districts are making different decisions.”
That announcement at least puts a delay on the prospect of new action from the state, calling on the suspension of sports.
FingerLakes1.com is the region’s leading all-digital news publication. The company was founded in 1998 and has been keeping residents informed for more than two decades. Have a lead? Send it to [email protected]