A decision is coming by Friday, according to sources close to Governor Andrew Cuomo.
Throughout the last several days, Gov. Cuomo has said that a decision on schools would be rendered by week’s end. That said, it would likely come down to parents – as to whether students go back in September.
On Monday, the governor dove deeper into what exactly would keep him from reopening schools. He said school districts must have a sufficient plan in place to keep students safe. Those plans were due last Friday and are under review.
“We’re going to approve an infection rate that says, from an infection rate point of view, the environment is safe to open a school,” Cuomo said. “That’s all I’m going to say “I trust the parents more than anyone and I don’t care if a school district says reopen, if they don’t have a good plan for reopening, you have no reopening.”
As of Tuesday morning, the infection rate in the Finger Lakes region is .8%.
FingerLakes1.com is the region’s leading all-digital news publication. The company was founded in 1998 and has been keeping residents informed for more than two decades. Have a lead? Send it to [email protected].