An early morning fire broke out in a basement apartment on Graham Road, Lansing, resulting in the tragic loss of two cats, according to the Lansing Fire Department.
Firefighters were dispatched to the scene at approximately 4:14 a.m. on Tuesday, following a report of a possible structure fire. Upon arrival, they encountered moderate smoke and charring around the apartment’s entrance, with the fire primarily contained within the kitchen area.
The Lansing Fire Department deployed an extensive response to tackle the blaze, including four engines, a ladder truck, a heavy rescue vehicle, and two support vehicles. Firefighting crews successfully extinguished the small fire, remaining on scene for about two hours to ensure the fire was completely out and to assess the situation.
While there were no reported injuries to residents or firefighters, two cats unfortunately perished in the incident. The Lansing Fire Department was supported at the scene by the Cayuga Heights Fire Department and Bangs Ambulance, as part of their automatic mutual aid process. Additional assistance was provided by the New York State Police and the Tompkins County Sheriff’s Office.
FingerLakes1.com is the region’s leading all-digital news publication. The company was founded in 1998 and has been keeping residents informed for more than two decades. Have a lead? Send it to [email protected].