The 20th-ranked William Smith College field hockey team was edged by 17th-ranked Kean University 3-1 in the first game of the 2023 William Smith Classic on McCooey Field this afternoon. The Herons are now 2-2 on the season.
Libby Maxwell scored the goal for the Herons. Kristen McCormick played all 60 minutes in goal and made five saves.
Laura Stump had a pair of assists to lead the way for the Cougars (3-0). Kean had three different goal-scorers in the victory. Jenna Flemings played all 60 minutes in goal and made one save.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- The Cougars dominated the box score, finishing the contest with a 17-6 advantage in shots.
- Kean also had a 15-4 advantage in penalty corners.
- William Smith opened the scoring in the sixth minute when Maxwell pocketed her second goal of the season. Standing on the left post, she redirected a Kate Barilla shot into the back of the net.
- The Cougars answered in the 14th minute. Off a penalty corner, Morgan Stump blasted a shot from the top of the arc past the goalie for her second goal of the season. Peyton Mann was awarded an assist on the goal.
- Five minutes later, Jorja Hibschman gave the Cougars a 2-1 lead with her third goal of the season. She fired a shot from the right side of the penalty arc. Laura Stump was credited with an assist on the goal.
- Maddison Gonzales rounded out the scoring in the 45th minute. She redirected a Laura Stump shot past McCormick.
- In the 21st minute, Strump nearly scored for the Cougars, but her shot was swept off the goal line by Laura Jackson.
- With one minute remaining in the half, Mackenzie Wodka had a breakaway cleared off the line by Hibschman.
William Smith will be back in action tomorrow, Sept. 10, when they take on Lebanon Valley at 2 p.m.