A suspected electrical fire in an Auburn apartment forced three adults and two children to evacuate their home on 30 Washington Street.
The Auburn Fire Department arrived at the scene at 3:30 p.m. after receiving reports of a fire in the walls of the second-floor apartment. Though there were no signs of smoke or flames from the outside, crews confirmed the presence of fire in the wall and ceiling of the apartment upon their interior investigation.
It took firefighters approximately an hour and a half to control the fire, which also necessitated substantial salvage and overhaul operations due to multiple burning areas in the walls and ceiling. All occupants had evacuated prior to the arrival of the fire department and are now receiving assistance from the Red Cross.
Fortunately, no injuries were reported. The Auburn Police Department, Auburn City Ambulance, Auburn Code Enforcement, NYSEG, and Cayuga County Dispatch Center provided additional support during the incident.
FingerLakes1.com is the region’s leading all-digital news publication. The company was founded in 1998 and has been keeping residents informed for more than two decades. Have a lead? Send it to [email protected].