Skip to content
Home » News » Get gas and transit paid for in Chicago– When do applications close?

Get gas and transit paid for in Chicago– When do applications close?

  • / Updated:
  • Abbi Aruck 

A $12.5 million program is giving out gas and transit cards in Chicago.

Thousands of residents could be eligible, but there is an application deadline.

Biden-Harris Administration announces $401 million for high-speed internet access in rural areas

When is the deadline to apply?

Chicago is using $12.5 million to distribute 50,000 $150 gas and 100,000 $50 transit cards to residents. Applicants are selected via lottery system.

The transit cards can be used at Ventra, the city’s electronic public transit payment system, vending machines, and retail locations located across the city, or digitally via the Ventra website or on the app.

Gas cards that are distributed can be used at any pump within the City of Chicago.

The lottery is designed in such a way that 75% of the recipients will be residents that face more mobility challenges. The remaining 25% will be distributed citywide– with equal amounts to each ward.

Applications for the program started back on April 27, 2033, but cards will be distributed every month from May through September. The lottery happens the second week of each month. In order to be considered for the lottery that month, you’ll need to apply by the first of each month. However, if you miss the deadline, your application will automatically be pushed to the next month.

The program will stop accepting applications on September 1, 2022. Chicago residents can apply online, at any Chicago Public Library location, or mail the application to the City Department of Finance.

Who can apply?

In order to apply you must not exceed the income threshold:

  • $65,300 for a individuals
  • $74,600 for a family of two
  • $93,200 for a family of four
  • $108,200 for a family of six


  • be a Chicago resident
  • over the age of 18
  • and have an active vehicle registration if applying for gas benefits

Transit cards will be mailed to the address listed on the application and gas cards will be mailed to the address on file for the applicant’s vehicle city sticker number.

There is a pick-up option available at City Hall, but that indication must be made on the application.

New Pennsylvania child tax care credits could mean $630 payments for families

Categories: News