Dollar Tree can have some great saving opportunities.
However, there are seven items you’ll want to avoid because you can find a better deal.
Which items should I avoid?
Lots of people decide to shop at Dollar Tree because most items in the store cost around $1.25. Although they do offer a variety of bargains, there are eight items that you can get cheaper elsewhere.
When doing a price comparison be sure to account for the quantity and weight too. Here are the eight items you should avoid buying at Dollar Tree:
- Plastic plates and table cloths
- It is important to keep in mind that prices do vary by location. At Walmart, you can get the same amount of table cloth for only 97 cents.
- Name brand dish soap
- The price tag may seem enticing, but at Walmart an 8-oz bottle of Ajax dishwashing soap costs $1.24, which is cheaper than Dollar Tree.
- Paper goods
- Dollar Tree also charges more than Walmart’s 88 sheet paper towel roll for 58 cents.
- Three separate brands sell wipes for $1.24 per pack or less at Walmart.
- Canned food
- As mentioned above, most items are $1.25 at the Dollar Tree, including most canned goods. At Walmart, a 15.25-oz can of corn sells for 58 cents.
- Candy bars
- Individually wrapped candy bars can be found cheaper at several other retailers.
- Garbage bags and zip lock bags
- Dollar Tree sells a 7 pack of Hefty slide quart bags for $1.25– which equals about 18 cents per bag. Walmart sells a 25 count package for $2.72– which is 11 cents per bag. And garbage bags tend to cost even more.