One man was arrested today following an investigation into a series of recent burglaries at Ithaca businesses.
Michael J. Thomas, 33, of Ithaca was arrested on a slew of charges early Tuesday morning.
Around 12:45 a.m. on Tuesday, July 12, investigators observed a “suspicious person rummaging through a U.S. Army Corps of Engineers boat on a trailer located in the parking lot of a local Bed, Bath and Beyond.
The individual was reportedly exited the vehicle with property he had not brought on the boat.
IPD says an officer requested to stop the suspect, who then fled on a bicycle away from the police officer and investigators.
The suspect was stopped in the 600 block of Clinton Street. The suspect was identified as Thomas and arrested.
IPD states that during the pursuit, one officer and one investigator were injured during the pursuit with one requiring medical attention.
Thomas faces the following charges:
- Petit Larceny – Class A Misdemeanor
- Possession of Burglar’s Tools – Class A Misdemeanor
- Burglary 3rd – Class D Felony: Burglary of The Fall Creek Restaurant, 302 Lake St
- Burglary 3rd – Class D Felony: Burglary of the Lincoln St Diner, 309 E. Lincoln St
- Burglary 3rd – Class D Felony: Burglary of Safelight Auto Glass, 150 Cecil A. Malone Dr
- Burglary 3rd – Class D Felony: Burglary of Rosie’s Ice Cream Shop, 312 E. Seneca St
- Burglary 3rd – Class D Felony: Burglary of Milk Stand Restaurant, 215 N. Meadow St
The charges brought against Thomas also cover crimes committed on prior dates. Additional charges may be brought, says IPD.
Anyone with information that may assist with these investigations is asked to contact the Ithaca Police Department by any of the following means:
Police Dispatch: 607-272-3245
Police Administration: 607-272-9973
Police Tipline: 607-330-0000
Anonymous Email Tip Address: www.cityofithaca.org/ipdtips