Watching fireworks on the Fourth of July is an American tradition and the Livingston County Department of Health encourages residents to use them with care. The National Council on Fireworks Safety offers these common sense safety tips for using consumer fireworks in the hopes that injuries to consumers can be greatly reduced this season:
- Parents should not allow children to handle or use fireworks.
- Fireworks should only be used outdoors.
- Always have water ready if you are shooting fireworks.
- Know your fireworks. Read the caution label before igniting.
- Obey local laws. If fireworks are not legal where you live, do not use them.
- Alcohol and fireworks don’t mix.
- Wear safety glasses whenever using fireworks.
- Never relight a “dud” firework. Wait 20 minutes and then soak it in a bucket of water.
- Soak used fireworks with water before placing them in an outdoor garbage can.
- Do not use homemade fireworks or illegal explosives- they are dangerous!
- Report illegal explosives, like M-80s and quarter sticks, to the fire or police department.
And note these special safety tips, if using sparklers:
- Always remain standing while using sparklers.
- Never hold a child in your arms while using sparklers.
- Use only one sparkler at a time.
- Never throw sparklers.
- Sparkler wire and sticks stay hot long after they stop burning- drop used sparklers in a bucket of water.
- Teach children not to wave sparklers or run while holding them.
- It is also important to consider pet safety during this holiday celebration. Be sure to keep pets, especially dogs, in a quiet, sheltered, and escape-proof area at home.
Following these common sense safety guidelines can keep you and your loved ones safe. For a full list of consumer fireworks safety tips and a safety video, please visit here.
FingerLakes1.com is the region’s leading all-digital news publication. The company was founded in 1998 and has been keeping residents informed for more than two decades. Have a lead? Send it to [email protected].