YATES COUNTY will celebrate National County Government Month (NCGM) in April to highlight the vital programs and services counties provide to ensure healthy, safe and prosperous communities.
The theme for this year’s NCGM celebration is “Counties THRIVE” and focuses on six areas that encompass the work counties do.
- Technology – equipping counties to expand broadband access to ensure all residents can learn, do business, and communicate effectively
- Health – improving our overall health and well-being
- Readiness – preparing the county workforce to gain the skills they need
- Infrastructure – strengthening resilience and the backbone of our communities
- Vulnerable communities – advancing equity, strengthening the safety net and ensuring that our residents have the help they need
- Economic opportunities – creating conditions for all of us to compete in the 21st century economy
“National County Government Month is our opportunity to highlight all the ways in which county government serves New Yorkers and helps our communities thrive,” said Winona Flynn, County Administrator. “We’re very proud of the work that Yates County has done during these challenging times to help our community move forward and I encourage our residents to learn more about Yates County by visiting our website www.yatescounty.org or visiting our County Office Building.”
“Over the last few years, New Yorkers gained a new appreciation for the role counties play in protecting public health and responding to emergencies,” said Stephen Acquario, Executive Director of the NYS Association of Counites (NYSAC). “Those are just a few of the many ways that these local governments serve our communities and National County Government Month is the perfect opportunity to show our residents how counties work for them every day.”
As part of this year’s celebration, NYSAC is holding a photo contest to celebrate the unique beauty of New York’s counties. This year’s contest theme, “County Parks and Recreation” is inspired by the appreciation for local outdoor resources New Yorkers have enjoyed during the pandemic and we encourage residents to show the best of what our county parks and recreational spaces have to offer.
To enter, simply share a photo on Instagram, Facebook or Twitter and tag @nyscounties. Be sure to include the name of the park and photographer’s contact information. Winning photographs will be chosen for publication in the summer edition of the NYSAC News magazine and included in the NYSAC 2023 Calendar. See complete guidelines here.
FingerLakes1.com is the region’s leading all-digital news publication. The company was founded in 1998 and has been keeping residents informed for more than two decades. Have a lead? Send it to [email protected]