The historic Lawrence Chapel, owned and managed by the Schuyler County Historical Society, will be open to visitors on Saturday, April 30.
The open house, from 10 a.m. to noon, will be followed by a barbecue lunch and talk about the Lawrence Chapel at the Bucket Bar and Grill in Odessa. The gathering, to which anyone is invited, also will serve as the Historical Society’s annual membership meeting. Reservations are required by April 23 for the lunch and talk.
Gary Emerson, Schuyler County Historian and Historical Society Board of Trustees member, will tell the story of the Lawrence Family, among the earliest settlers in the region. The Chapel was built in 1880 as a memorial to the family, several of whom are buried in the adjacent cemetery.
The Chapel is located on Route 228, about 3.5 miles northeast of Odessa. The Chapel has been used for weddings, church services, concerts and other community events almost continuously since it was built. The Historical Society will continue to offer the Chapel for public use between May 1 and Oct. 15.
Parking for the open house will be along Route 228. Accessibility to the Chapel is limited for persons with mobility challenges.
Call the Historical Society at 607-535-9741 or email [email protected] by April 23 to make a reservation for the lunch and talk. The meal choices are barbecued chicken, $22; pulled pork, $22; or veggie burger, $19.
FingerLakes1.com is the region’s leading all-digital news publication. The company was founded in 1998 and has been keeping residents informed for more than two decades. Have a lead? Send it to [email protected]