The New York State Department of Taxation and Finance today reminded taxpayers that its website, www.tax.ny.gov, can help make filing personal income tax returns simple, fast, and free.
Taxpayers can take advantage of an array of helpful and money-saving resources, such as free tax preparation and filing software, answers to common questions, and checklists to ensure a smooth process.
“We’re on a mission to make sure every New Yorker has the most convenient tax filing experience possible,” said Acting Commissioner Amanda Hiller. “Using the online resources at www.tax.ny.gov can provide an efficient and error-free filing process.”
Make it simple
First, use this checklist to gather the documents and information necessary to file a return.
- email address
- copy of the 2021 tax return or 2021 federal adjusted gross income (FAGI) if you filed a tax return last year
- photo ID, including driver license, state-issued nondriver ID or NYC ID (for you and your spouse, if filing jointly
- birth dates and Social Security numbers for you, your spouse, and your dependent
- proof of income (wages, unemployment, interest, and dividend statements):
- Forms W-2, 1099-G, 1098, and other 1099 forms
- any documents that show additional income, including cash income or capital gains
- IRS letter 6419, 2021 Total Advance Child Tax Credit (Addicts) Payments
- stimulus payment for 2021
- Forms 1095-A, B, or C, Affordable Healthcare Statement
- information related to any tax deduction or credits you’re claiming
- your banking information (the account number and the routing number for your bank, which you can find on a blank check)
Note: If you received unemployment payments, you must visit the NYS Department of Labor’s 1099-G Tax Form webpage to obtain a copy of your Form 1099-G. You will need the unemployment insurance (UI) information on this form to file.
Make it fast
E-filing is safer, faster, and more efficient than sending paper returns through the mail. And you’ll receive your refund faster if it’s directly deposited into your bank account rather than mailed as a paper check.
Taxpayers can also quickly view the status of their New York State tax refund anytime by using the Check your Refund application on the Tax Department website: www.tax.ny.gov. It’s the fastest and most convenient way to know when to expect your refund.
Make it free
Free File software is now available at the Tax Department website, www.tax.ny.gov. Taxpayers with income of $73,000 or less in 2021 can electronically complete and submit their federal and New York State income tax returns online at no cost.
To be directed to the free filing options, simply click Free File your income tax return on the Tax Department’s website. It’s easy, fast, and secure.
To ensure you’re not charged a fee, you must go to the Tax Department’s website to complete your return. You’ll save on preparation fees, prevent costly errors, and ensure that you receive any refund you’re owed in the most efficient way possible.
FingerLakes1.com is the region’s leading all-digital news publication. The company was founded in 1998 and has been keeping residents informed for more than two decades. Have a lead? Send it to [email protected]