Skip to content
Home » Valentine's Day » IRS: How to talk to a real person at the IRS

IRS: How to talk to a real person at the IRS

Millions of Americans were frustrated in 2021 as they tried to contact a real person working at the IRS to no avail.

IRS building sign

This year, there may be a way to speak with someone directly if necessary.

With tax seasons being a bit more confusing lately with things like child tax credit payments, the need to speak with someone is greater.

IRS: Use these apps to file tax forms for free

How to speak to a person with the IRS

Your chances of getting through to a real person are greater if you call the number associated with your specific issue.

The main number for the IRS is 1-800-829-1040, which is where many do not end up getting through.

The following numbers are for the corresponding reasons listed

Average refunds are $658 more dollars in 2022 compared to 2021

  • Missing child tax credit payments: 800-908-4184
  • Stimulus check wrong amount or never received: 800-919-9835
  • Self-employed taxpayers with account or tax law questions: 800-829-4933
  • Identity and refund theft victims; get a new IP PIN: 800-908-4490
  • Disaster victims: 866-562-5227
  • Overseas taxpayers: 267-941-1000
  • Balance due questions: 800-829-0922; 800-829-7650; 800-829-3903
  • Estate and gift tax questions: 866-699-4083
  • Excise tax questions: 866-699-4096
  • Report phishing and other scams; see if an IRS agent’s name and badge number are legit: 800-366-4484
  • Check status of a tax refund: 800-829-1954
  • Inquire about status of a tax refund being held: 866-897-3315
  • Check status of an amended tax return: 866-464-2050
  • Order a tax transcript: 800-908-9946
  • Make a payment using Electronic Federal Tax Payment System: 800-555-4477
  • Report incorrect income on a substitute return: 866-681-4271
  • Verify, payoff or resolve a tax lien: 800-913-6050
  • See if bankruptcy changed your tax debt: 800-973-0424
  • Innocent spouse relief: 866-681-4271
  • See which debts will offset your tax refund: 800-304-3107
  • Lost ITIN documents: 800-908-9982
  • Status of application for Adoption Taxpayer Identification Number: 737-800-5511
  • Taxpayer Advocate Service: 877-777-4778
  • International Taxpayer Advocate: 787-522-8601
  • Tax assistance for the hard of hearing (TTY/TDD): 800-829-4059
  • Schedule an appointment with a local IRS office: 844-545-5640
  • Whistleblower hotline: 800-829-0433
  • Ask IRS to mail you paper tax forms: 800-829-3676
  • Find a free tax clinic near you: 800-906-9887; 888-227-7669

You can call these numbers between Monday and Friday from 7 a.m. until 7 p.m.

Categories: News