Millions of Americans have found themselves in student loan debt after getting an education.
The Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program was created to help students that start in low wage paying careers.
You need to have already made ten years worth of payments to qualify.
This means 120 payments while you were working for an organization eligible for tax free forgiveness.
You may check the federal aid website for your eligibility.
Qualification to receive this loan forgiveness
- Work for a U.S. federal, state, local, or tribal government or non-profit organizations.
- Work full time for this organization
- Have Direct Loans
- Be paying off your loans through an income driven payment plan
- Made 120 qualifying payments already
- File a Certification and Application for Public Service Loan Forgiveness
- File a Temporary Expanded PSLF
Organizations that qualify for this student loan forgiveness program
- Government organizations
- 501c3 non-profits
- Peace Corps
- Non-profits offering a public service that qualifies
- Religious organizations
FingerLakes1.com is the region’s leading all-digital news publication. The company was founded in 1998 and has been keeping residents informed for more than two decades. Have a lead? Send it to [email protected].