Skip to content
Home » Chance The Rapper » Crunch fall to bears in shootout, 5-4

Crunch fall to bears in shootout, 5-4

The Syracuse Crunch scored twice in the third period to force overtime, but eventually fell to the Hershey Bears, 5-4, in a shootout tonight at the Upstate Medical University Arena.

Remi Elie, Andrej Sustr and Charles Hudon all recorded multi-point efforts as the team moves to 5-5-1-1 on the season and 1-0-0-1 in the four-game season series against the Bears.

Goaltender Amir Miftakhov stopped 31-of-35 shots in net for the Crunch. Pheonix Copley turned aside 34-of-38 and 2-of-3 shootout attempts between the pipes for the Bears. Syracuse was 1-for-5 on the power play and 2-for-3 on the penalty kill.

The Bears opened scoring just 43 seconds into the game. Joe Snively forced a turnover in the slot and set up Beck Malenstyn to score as he skated in from the right side. The Crunch quickly evened the score 32 seconds later when Gabriel Dumont fed Sean Day for a left-point shot.

Hershey regained their lead at 11:25 while on the power play. Bobby Nardella’s shot from the bottom of the left circle was stopped, but Snively found the rebound and swept it in. Syracuse then responded at the 15-minute mark to tie the game for a second time. Copley stopped Hudon’s short breakaway, but the puck remained in the crease for Elie to poke across the goal line.

The Bears scored two goals just eight seconds apart to build up a 4-2 lead in the second period. At 8:23, Snively potted his second of the night by redirecting Garrett Pilon’s point shot as he cut across the zone. Seconds later, Drake Rymsha centered the puck from the right side for Ryan Dmowski to chip in as he cut down the slot.

Syracuse scored twice in the third period to climb back from the two-goal deficit and force overtime. Just 23 seconds into the third period, Elie was in front of the cage to shovel in his second of the night after Dumont tipped down Sustr’s right-circle shot. At 12:29, Sustr scored a goal of his own to tie the game while on the man-advantage. A rebound came back up the slot for the blue liner to send home with a slapshot.

After a scoreless overtime frame, the game went to a shootout. Gage Goncalves and Mike Sgarbossa both scored in the first round. Hudon was blocked on his second-round attempt, but Snively scored for the Bears. Hershey secured the win when Copley made the stop on Otto Somppi in the third round.


The Crunch travel to face the Cleveland Monsters on Wednesday.