The following is an announcement submitted for publication on FingerLakes1.com. Submissions for consideration can be sent to [email protected] or manually uploaded by clicking here.
To help New York appeal FEMA’s decision on Tropical Storm Fred damage, Seneca County officials use damage assessment tool
– By Melissa Taylor, Seneca County Emergency Management Director
Governor Hochul has announced New York State’s intent to appeal FEMA’s decision denying individual assistance for disaster-related costs incurred during TROPICAL STORM FRED. To this end, the State has rolled out a NEW DAMAGE ASSESSMENT tool to better collect data to be used in its appeal.
If you sustained damages during TROPICAL STORM FRED (August 18-19, 2021) and would like to assist the State in its appeal, please click on the link below and self-report your damages NO LATER THAN SUNDAY, OCTOBER 31, 2021 at 12:00 PM.
PLEASE NOTE: EVEN IF you have previously reported your damages to our office, you will still need to use the link provided below.
*The self-report form can be accessed here: https://survey123.arcgis.com/share/9d10851cc63447eb9488aefd90af1689.
- Take a reference photo of the home with the address number visible or with GPS coordinates to help distinguish which damage profiles belong with each submitted property
- Take photographs and closeups of everything that would be clear indicators of the assigned level of damage
- Do not include photographs that are not of damage (unless it’s an address reference photo)
- Do not include photographs that contain faces
- Take close-up photographs of damages to show details, if applicable. This may include high water lines on walls for flood events, foundation cracks for earthquakes, or other damage indicators
- Take a photo of the damage that shows the scale and extent of the damage relative to an object of known size
- Ensure lighting and perspective allow a viewer to clearly see damages
For technical assistance related to the self-report form, please call 518.292.1195 between the hours of 8:00 AM and 8:00 PM.
Have a letter to the editor, op-ed, or other piece of content you’d like to see published on FingerLakes1.com? We’re here to help! Submit it to [email protected] with your contact information and we’ll publish it in our new ‘Community Voices’ section.