Rochester Institute of Technology senior defenseman Dan Willett (Bayville, N.Y.) notched a goal and an assist while senior forwards Nick Bruce (Fall River, Nova Scotia/Johnstown Tomahawks) and Jake Hamacher (Corona, Calif.) each tacked on a goal, but it was host Robert Morris holding on for a 4-3 victory, Sunday, in Atlantic Hockey play.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Robert Morris scored the lone goal of the first period after Matthew Guerra finished an odd-man rush with 16:05 on the clock.
- The Colonials took a 2-0 lead with 18:26 left in the second period after a shot by Grant Hebert from the left face-off circle deflected off a body in front and dribbled under RIT senior goalie Logan Drackett’s (Calgary, Alberta) pads.
- RIT fell into a 3-0 hole after a 3-on-1 Robert Morris break culminated in a goal by Randy Hernandez.
- The Tigers got one back after Robert Morris was hit with a five-minute major for boarding. Senior forward Alden Dupuis (Edmonton, Alberta) fed Bruce in the right face-off circle for a one-timer inside the near post with 4:30 left in the second period.
- In the third period, Robert Morris reclaimed a 4-1 lead with 12:52 remaining after Nick Prkusic found an open net.
- RIT pulled back within two following a short-handed snipe by Willett from the right face-off circle to finish a rush with 7:28 on the clock.
- RIT pulled Drackett for an extra skater with 1:48 left in regulation before Robert Morris was hit with a slashing penalty with 59 seconds on the clock. Skating six-on-four, junior Jake Joffe (Toronto, Ontario) flipped a pass out of the slot to Hamacher in the right face-off circle for a one-timer with 35 seconds remaining.
- Drackett made his 95th appearance in goal for RIT, breaking a tie with Mike Rotolo (Rochester, NY/Cedar Rapids Roughriders) ’17 (2013-17) for first place during the program’s Division I era. He also eclipsed Rotolo’s career saves record in last night’s 3-1 setback at Robert Morris with 2,377 saves to date.
- RIT finished the game with a 37-19 advantage in shots, including 20 during the second period.
RIT is scheduled to play Canisius three times this coming week, starting with a road game on Wednesday (Jan. 6) at 7:00 p.m. After hosting the Golden Griffins on Friday (Jan. 8) at 5:00 p.m., The Tigers will return to the LECOM Harbor Center next Sunday (Jan. 10) for a 2:00 p.m. start.