Skip to content
Home » Cayuga County » Auburn » Harriet Tubman Church and Parsonage Reopen as Historical Site

Harriet Tubman Church and Parsonage Reopen as Historical Site

  • / Updated:
  • Staff Report 

The Thompson Memorial A.M.E. Zion Church, where Harriet Tubman’s funeral was held in 1913, reopened Saturday as part of the Harriet Tubman National Historical Park.

Ahna Wilson, superintendent of the park, celebrated the event with local leaders and Tubman descendants. The National Park Service recently completed a $5 million project to restore the church and parsonage, which had been vacant since 1993.

Harriet Tubman contributed $500 to build the church in 1891 and worshipped there until her death. Judith Bryant, Tubman’s great-great-grandniece, and other descendants attended the opening. Auburn Mayor Jimmy Giannettino called it “a remarkable day for our city.” The church will serve as a visitor center and is expected to attract 3,000 visitors annually.