The top-ranked Hobart College hockey team erupted for five goals in the second period as it knocked off third-ranked Elmira College 7-2 in a New England Hockey Conference contest at the Murray Athletic Center this evening. With their third straight win, the Statesmen are now 17-2-1 overall this season with an 11-1-1 mark in the NEHC.
Seven different players recorded a goal in the victory. First-year Chris Duclair led the Statesmen with three assists. Sophomore Damon Beaver made 20 saves as he earned the victory.
Janis Vizbellis recorded both goals for the Soaring Eagles (15-4-1, 8-4-1). Kyle Curtin started in goal and made 21 saves in just under 32 minutes in goal. Jeffrey Zero came on in relief and made 18 saves.
- With the win, Hobart extended its unbeaten streak to 14 games, matching the longest streak in program history.
- The Statesmen finished the game with a 46-22 advantage in shots on goal.
- Both teams were 1-for-6 on the power play.
- Elmira’s power-play goal at the 11:15 mark of the first period was the first power-play goal Hobart had allowed all season, ending the Statesmen’s streak at 57 consecutive penalties killed. Opponents are now 1-for 63 on the power play this season against Hobart.
- The Statesmen opened the scoring at the 2:31 mark of the first period. Senior Matthieu Wuth blasted home a shot from the point through traffic and past the goalie. His second goal of the season was assisted by Artem Buzoverya and Duclair.
- Three minutes later, first-year Brandon Sacchetti notched his seventh goal of the season. He picked up a rebound and flipped a shot past Curtin from a tight angle. Duclair and first-year Bauer Morrissey had helpers on the goal.
- Vizbellis broke up the shutout bid just past the 11-minute mark of the opening frame. He fired a slapshot past Beaver for his 11th goal of the year. The power-play goal was assisted by Daniel Dimon and Amedeo Matangelli.
- Senior Jared Patterson gave the Statesmen a two-goal lead just under five minutes into the second period. He snapped a shot from the left faceoff circle past Curtin. His second goal of the year was assisted by sophomores Ignat Belov and Tanner Hartman.
- Senior Austin Mourar and junior Shane Shell scored 10 seconds apart in the middle portion of the period to put the game out of reach. Mourar wristed a shot inside the left goalpost. His fifth goal of the season was assisted by Hartman and Aquaro.
- Shell’s third goal of the season gave Hobart a four-goal lead. He picked up a rebound in the low slot and flipped a shot past Curtin. Senior Jonah Alexander and Patterson recorded assists on the goal.
- At the 14:33 mark of the middle frame, junior Luke Aquaro one-timed a shot from the top of the right faceoff circle past Zero. His 12th goal of the season was assisted by Alexander.
- First-year Conor Lally talked on a power-play goal with less than three minutes remaining in the frame. His third goal of the year was assisted by Morrissey and Duclair.
- Vizbellis rounded out the scoring in the third period. His 12th goal of the season was assisted by Nicholas Domitrovic and Shawn Kennedy.
Hobart and Elmira will be back in action tomorrow, Jan. 26, when they meet at The Cooler. Faceoff is scheduled for 4 p.m.